Friday, January 20, 2012

Prologue





The first thing I saw when I woke up was white. All white. It was so bright.

I stood shakily on the cold tile floors, wondering where I was. When I looked around, I saw people in the window above.


One looked like he was in charge. He was wearing a suit, and seemed to be the oldest. He had seniority. The one next to him looked confused and scared, but he couldn't possibly be as scared as I was... I looked around some more.
I saw him. He was so familiar.


Everything about him was just so right. I wondered why he was so familiar to me. For the first time since I woke up I didn't feel so empty. I almost smiled...

I felt the urge to be near him. I tried to step forward, but then I saw a woman.


She looked distressed about something. They soon left.

"Hello," a voice said. I flinched. What was it? "Can you tell us your name?"

"Mwneeahh!! Ahnnaaiee.... mnnn..," I said. They didn't understand me, and I started mumbling something. Frustrated, I tried again. Everything came out as gibberish. I screamed, panicked, and tried to open the door, but not by the handle. Instincts guiding me, I lifted my hands and charged a force of light...


I didn't get very far with it. Before I could focus enough energy into it, I heard a loud beeping noise. I stopped and looked around, and then I felt dizzy. Everything was turning black. I couldn't tell how long I resisted until I fell to the cold floor, going into another dreamless sleep.


__________________________________________________________________


The next time I woke up, I was in a small room. I pouted, and my eyes watered. What is happening? More cold tile floors. I tried to search my mind. I don't remember anything, except for what happened in the big white room.


I looked around. A tiny window, a bed, nightstand, a big dresser, and a chair... This room is so small...


A man came in. I saw him earlier, in the big white room. He sat in the chair.

"My name is Milo," he told me. "Can you say it? Mi... Lo."

"Mi... Lo," I repeated, confused.

"Good. Do you know why you're here?"

All I could do was give him a confused look. He stared for a few seconds.

"You have been missing for the past seven years," he paused, as if wondering if I'd believe him. "You, along with many others, were abducted by aliens. When abducted humans started showing up again, it became a dangerous place. People are still being abducted randomly every few months. 
"Some of them came back with memories. Memories of their past, of the place they were taken. Some had no memories. You seem to be one of those without any memories. You're the only one who lost the ability to speak. Some came back with special powers. Some didn't. Because of how dangerous those abducted can be, we had to build this facility. We have been unsuccessful in bringing back the memories of anyone.
"To be honest, we don't know if we would want to. The ones that came back with memories of what happened... They're emotionally scarred. They're different. They were tortured out there. If you ever want to bring your memories back, it's at your own risk."

I became scared. 

"I wonder if you even understand what I'm saying," he told me.

My face grew a perplexed look. 

"Your name is Tara," he told me. After about a minute of silence he looked at me again. Right into my eyes, and stood. "Your eyes..."


He put his hands on my waist and bent in. He put his face near mine. I wondered what he was doing. He grabbed at my chest, and I tried to back away. He pulled away.

"You're... No. Goodbye," he said, frustrated, and left. 

I touched my breast where he touched me. I didn't understand. I started to cry. Was it my fault he was angry? I lay on the floor and sob through the night.

2 comments:

  1. TYPO: "Hello," a voice said. I flinched. What was it? "Can you tell use your name?" *us :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stanze- Oops! Sometimes my finger slips. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete